A report by the Center for Economic and Policy Research, the U.S. is the only developed country that does not legally require a single paid vacation day.
The government declares holidays for federal employees, but there is no law saying that employers have to pay for “vacation days.”
- The EU, on the other hand, legally requires 20 paid vacation days as a minimum. France requires 30.
- Austria, Belgium, and Denmark actually pay employees more when on vacation to offset the costs of travel.
But don’t get too frustrated because, statistically speaking, the average American reading this is not taking all of their vacation days anyway.
The overarching finding was that taking time off from work can make you happier, healthier, and more productive when you return, but only specific kinds of travel produce these results.
Travel does not lower happiness when you return to work — travel stress does.
Positive vacations have a significant effect upon energy and stress.
- 94% had as much or more energy after coming back after a good trip.
- In fact, on low-stress trips, 55% returned to work with even higher levels of energy than before the trip.
Here are some key tips to help you create positive vacation.
- Focus on the details
- Plan more than one month in advance
- Go far away
- Meet with someone knowledgeable at the location
Make the most of your vacations on the Texas coast, known to bring families together like no-where else on earth.
- 7 Scientifically Proven Ways To Make You A Happier Person (urbantimes.co)
- Happiness Makes Your Brain Work Better (inc.com)